"The meat industry's big public
relations problem is that vegetarians
are demonstrably healthier than
Professor of Nutrition and Public Health,
New York University,
Walnut And Mushroom Pie
- 500 gms mushrooms
- 150gms walnuts chopped
- 100 gms firm tofu crumbled
- 1 can tomato purée
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 1 red capsicum sliced
- 1 carrot grated
- 6 or 8 dates chopped
- 1 1/2 tsps mustard powder
- 1 cup parsley chopped
- 1/2 bunch spinach (optional)
- 1 tblsp brown sugar
- 2 tblsps balsamic vinegar
- 1 tblsp cornflour
- 2 sheets puff pastry defrosted (butter free)
- soy milk, sesame seeds and parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven 200ºc.
- Place tomato purée in saucepan, add mushrooms, walnuts, tofu, onion, capsicum, carrot, dates, spinach, parsley, sugar and mustard powder.
- Bring to boil and simmer 10 mins.
- Combine cornflour and vinegar in a cup and gradually add to mushroom mixture.
- Continue to stir until thickens. Allow to cool.
- Gently roll one sheet of pastry on baking paper. Spoon half the mixture into the centre, moisten edges of pastry. Wrap pastry over filling. Brush with soy milk, sprinkle with sesame seeds and parsley.
- Repeat for other half of the mixture.
- Bake for 30 min or until pastry is golden and puffed.
- Serve with steamed vegetables or a salad. (The two pies serve 6 to 8)